Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Religion.. ?

Yesterday I signed out what seemed to be my first book in like, three years, at the East York library. I signed out a World Religions book.
Now I know what you're thinking. But I'm not religious at all, aside from what I pretend to be so my parents won't preach at me the very foundation of our belief system.(ugh)
If someone were to ask me if I believed in God I'd shrug my shoulders unknowingly. If someone were to ask me if I believed in religion the anwser would be no. I have no interest in religion for the reason of it not affecting me spiritually as it seems to do to others. The truth is is that I just don't get it. How can there be rules and regulations on what we believe in? I feel like religion is actually the barrier that keeps us all from believing in something.

I could be attending some kind of Easter ceremony and not be as emotionally moved as the rest of my family. I look around and can see something in their face. Something I can't seem to understand. Is this "thing" on their face a symbol of genuine belief in the ulmighty spirit or is it just a sign of centuries of brainwashing traditions being brought down from generation to generation? Ohhh the possibilities. Do I envy their spiritual connection with the unknown higher power? Perhaps, but then again I go back to my brainwashing theory and it almost makes me angered to think that with all the religions out their preaching what they believe, there is only one true anwser making other theories an accumulation of lies.
This is why I am reading this book. If I am still not emotionally or mentally affected after reading this book than that will indicate my true feeling towards religion.
I say, lets just call it a truce with all religious systems out there and just have faith in the people.
Amen.

4 comments:

  1. i some times think that the church has brainwashed some people. I am somewhat religious and can be touched by the sermons, although i do not agree with everything they teach us. I think religion is finding out what you believe and to what limits on your own. Good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I think that God is a spiritual guide, someone I can talk to through my thoughts..But I don't believe those rules either, those that say that if you break them you're bound to go to hell..I guess the rules come from religious books written in a different time, under different circumstances..when people were all sorts of crazy..So we cant let the rules limit us, but I guess the underlying message of religion is that everything should be done with good intentions. Hope you enjoy ur book :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an atheist, I don't believe in God, but I accept religion. While it may seem like brainwashing, the most important part of religion (in my opinion) is that it helps people. It's not necessarily only about God, it's about morals and being a good person. Some people take it a bit far, I think, but the thing I just said is the important part. Some people need that faith in their life and are happy with it. I think religion's pretty cool in that sense. 8D

    When people start preaching to me and saying YOU'RE GOING TO HELLLLLL and stuff, that's when I get pissed off. But when they let me be a non-believer, that's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post! (:
    As me being a Christian, I have learned through the years that Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship with God. I understand where you are coming from, because I feel the same way all the time, sometimes I don't even know if there is a God or not, but I try to understand as best as I can. Also, I respect other peoples beliefs or disbeliefs, that's their own opinion, not mine. OH! And about the brainwashing thing (hehehe) that's what it seems like most of the time in certain churches, but I'm not gonna go there...
    Hope you enjoy your book, and find what you're looking for! (:

    ReplyDelete